Pages

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Easy Apple Tart

We love food around here. Sam loves to eat, I love to eat, so does our cat. Here’s a picture of Hunter holding onto his food bin for dear life. Hunter used to eat holes in his food bags, but our friend Heather thwarted his overeating ways by getting an opposable-thumb required Tupperware….
IMG_1467
yes Hunter is an attack cat. He attacks his food with a vengeance. He also has lasers for eyes.
Anyways, back to the food posts. Last weekend one of our friends invited us out to his place for an elk steak bbq. Hunting and Fishing are pretty much the only hobbies in these parts, and people are serious about it. One of my coworkers has taken an entire month off to go elk hunting.
As Overboard is still my middle name, according to Sam, I decided that I needed to try to Pioneer Woman’s quick apple tart. The apples haven’t quite come on down here, but I know the harvest is on in Washington, and as I am a Washingtonian, I picked up some WA apples from Freddie’s. Without further adieu, here’s a picture and the recipe. One warning – I don’t know how small the apples are in Texas, perhaps we’re spoiled up here in the PNW, but 3-4 apples was WAY too many for 1 sheet of puff pastry.
IMG_1463
PW’s Quick & Easy Apple Tart
1 sheet puff pastry, cut in half
3-4 apples, cored, halved and sliced (If you’re using large WA apples, use 2, maybe 3!)
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 a lemon, juiced
0.25 tsp. salt
  • Preheat oven to 415 degrees.
  • Defrost 1 sheet of puff pastry, and after unfolding, cut in half lengthwise.
  • Place puffed pastry onto a baking pan that has been sprayed with nonstick spray. (I used the Pam Baking spray. It’s got flour in it, and it’s wonderful)
  • Core and slice the apples thinly (I used a mandolin, and everything was the same size.)
  • Squeeze the half lemon over the apples, then add the sugar and salt, mix and let sit for a few minutes.
  • Line up the apples on each piece of puff-pastry, overlapping the apples until you get to the end of the sheet.
  • Bake at 415 for 18-20 minutes, or until the pastry is puffed.
  • Sprinkle with whatever suits your fancy.

2 comments:

  1. I loved the comment that Hunter has lasers for eyes. Too silly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks yummy!! I'm in Newport too!! really I claim Toledo because we have a business there but technically I do live in Newport!!! I just started a blog...its a work in progress :)...it was cool to see a local food blogger!!! I have to get the Pioneer Womans cookbook!!! its all the rage on these blogs!!!:)

    ReplyDelete

asdfas