Pages

Monday, December 28, 2009

My Illicit Love Affair





I have a bit of a dirty little secret.  Something that makes me more like Sandra Lee then Martha Stewart.  I feel slightly guilty, but at the same time I feel so good about it.  What could it be, you ask? Do I have a secret craving for pork, or want to eat Cheezeburgers for breakfast?  Well, it all depends....


I love my bread maker.  There. I said it.  Whew.  That's a lot off of my chest.  This, coming from me, the gal who demands to try to make everything from scratch loves using the bread maker as a shortcut for dough.  Don't judge me.  Bread machines are a special type of crack I don't plan to give up anytime soon.  So is the bread pictured above.  So swirly.  So cinnamon-y (is that even a word?  oh well).  So perfectly easy to throw the ingredients into the bread machine, select the dough cycle, then roll out, lather with butter and sugar and cinnamon, roll into a loaf shape and bake.  

Oh goodness.  Now I need to make this again.  I'll justify this one as "we can use it for french toast, which we at one point talked about doing, right?  Oh, well, I suppose I can put it in the freezer."

I never even bake bread in my bread machine.  I just use it to make dough and then shape and bake bread in my oven.  Is it cheating?  You bet your ass, but this is one shortcut that I can get on board with.  I just hope Martha won't judge me too harshly...


Cinnamon Swirl Bread
          From the Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook by Beth Hensperger 
               (yes, I actually own a bread machine cookbook.  My love of my bread machine runs deeper than I thought)
This makes a 1 1/2 lb. loaf.  If you want the 2-lb version, shoot me an email. - Z
1 c. water
2 tbs. unsalted butter, cut into pieces
0.25 c. sugar
3 c. bread flour
1/3 c. butter milk powder
1 tbs. vital wheat gluten (find in the natural foods, or as we like to call it the "hippie" section of your grocery store)
1.25 tsp salt
2 tsp. active dry yeast -OR- 2.5 tsp. bread machine yeast
 For the cinnamon swirl:
2 tbs. melted butter, for brushing
1/3 c. light brown sugar
1 tbs. ground cinnamon  
  •  Place all ingredients in the bread machine pan according to the manufacturer's instructions. (Mine calls for liquids on the bottom, and then dry ingredients piled on top - Z) Set the bread machine to the dough cycle, and walk away until the bread machine beeps. 
  • Take the dough out of the bread machine, and on a lightly-floured surface, roll out the dough until it's a 8x12 inch rectangle.  Brush dough with the melted butter, then sprinkle cinnamon and brown sugar on rectangle. Leave a 1-inch border around the edges.  
  • Roll up dough in the "hamburger" direction (ha! no one can ever say I didn't learn anything in elementary school), then pull ends UNDER the rest of the loaf, and put into a greased 9x5" bread pan.  Let rise until doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes.
  • At some point, preheat your oven to 350 F.  Bake the bread for 35-40 minutes, or until it looks done.  If the crust browns too quickly, put a piece of aluminum foil over the top of the pan. 
  • Place the bread on a rack and let cool to room temperature before serving.


3 comments:

  1. wow I figured using the bread machine for making dough was just as useful as using the kitchen aide. I think Martha will still accept you or at least I will. hmmm your bread looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy!! I don't have a bread maker! dang...I guess I'll do it the old fashion way..oh wait..I never have made bread in my life!!!! probly will be awhile then!!! Looks tempting though!!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    Vincent
    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete

asdfas