Pages

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus

I've been a very bad blogger.  I think it's been several months since I last updated.  In my defense, many of the things that I wanted to talk about, I couldn't post on the internet for everyone and their brother to see.

First update:  Sam and I are doing P90X.  The instructor guy, Tony, drives me nuts with his thinly veiled sexual harassment of the women on the workout video, but hey!  You can mute him, so you don't have to listen to him hit on Dreya one.more.time.  This means that we've been making an attempt (great on Sam's part, not so great on my part) at following the diet, which includes protein overload.  I think the first week we did P90X I had a breakdown because Sam didn't want me to make muffins for breakfasts at work like I normally do.  I won't lie - it was ugly. 

Second update:  Some folk may know this already, but Sam has put in his notice at work, and we'll be embarking on a major life change in the next coming months.  That's all I'll say right now.  Oh, and I'm pretty stoked that CU is joining the Pac-10.

Nothing like a slew (is 2 updates really a slew?  Thoughts?) of updates to get me back into subjecting the internets to my ramblings. 

One thing that Sam has been eating a lot of lately is Roasted Red Pepper Hummus with pita chips.  Hummus has a ton of protein, which is great to have after a workout. Or so that Tony guy tells me.  I personally just want to have a cocktail and attack a bag of chips.  Perhaps I'm not getting this whole high protein diet thing...

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
1 14.5-oz. can low sodium chickpeas, drained and rinsed (sometimes labeled as garbanzo beans) (about 1.5 c. of beans)
1/3 c. + 2 tsp. tahini (or, a heaping 1/3 c.)
3 tbs. extra virgin olive oil
1 -2 large cloves roasted garlic (skins removed, to taste)
1 roasted red pepper
2.25 tsp. cumin or paprika
Juice of 1/2 a lemon, plus more to taste
Salt and pepper

  • Combine chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, roasted red peppers oil and garlic in food processor, sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Combine until desired consistency. Add a little water if the hummus is too thick.
  • Taste and adjust seasoning, adding in cumin/paprika, salt/pepper, or lemon juice to suit your tastes.   

1 comment:

asdfas