Pages

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Odds and ends

*I'll be swearing quite a bit in this post.  I've edited the f-bombs, but it's still obvious what I'm saying.  Apologies in advance, I suppose.  

One would think that being "funemployed" (credit to Heather for the term), I would be constantly posting about all of the fantastic things I've been making.  This hasn't been the case.  Being at home has made me complacent, and I haven't really been experimenting that much.  

The adjustment from Oregon to Colorado has been hard on me. Genetically, I'm prone to some depression, and it's reared it's ugly head since moving here.  To say I've been in a bit of a rut is putting it lightly.  The entire move and the events leading up to it were a total clusterf-ck.

When Sam gave his notice,  our (former) place of work came up with a "deal" to keep me around for an additional 2-3 months in order to train my replacement.  Part of this "deal" was that the company I worked for would be paying for my living expenses - rent, etc, and covering one round-trip airline ticket a month to Boulder to see Sam until my pre-determined end date (November 1st or 2nd).

Here is a lesson to anyone who reads this: if the company you work for makes you any form of an unorthodox offer to keep you around, GET IT IN WRITING.  

My company was supposed to find me a furnished place to live (that would allow Hunter) after the moving truck came and we moved the majority of our belongings down to Colorado.  They didn't.  

I came up with an alternate proposal - I'd stay where Sam and I had been living, all the company needed to do was rent furniture for me.  

I prepared an estimate for management as to the monthly rent a center fees.  They balked, and all the sudden, this wasn't a local issue any longer, it went straight to Atlanta (corporate).  Atlanta wouldn't give an answer. This was four days before the moving truck was supposed to arrive.  

Two days later, we received the notification from the moving company that they would be arriving in 48 hours.  The company I worked for still had no answers for me.  

One day later, still no answers.  In my opinion, this is a pretty shitty way for a company to treat an employee who came in on weekends, and went above and beyond their job description because their department had two grown men that acted like goddamned children, and was payed less then everyone else.  It was literally two sane people running a department that is integral to that site's success (Hi Brian!)


That Friday, I walked into the office and gave my notice.  As in, "well, you haven't held up your end of the deal, so I will be leaving with Sam on Monday.  By the way,  as I have to pack up the rest of my house in the next 24 hours, I'll be leaving by 9 AM."


lesson learned, get shit in writing.  Large companies are only out to f--k the people that work for them and my former employer is NO exception.  


Anyways, this has been quite a bit of a ramble, but I needed to vent a little bit, I suppose.  

I'll probably ramble a bit more about thing that have been on my mind, so be prepared (name that Disney movie!)

3 comments:

  1. Hmm I don't know that Disney movie! I think it is awful how GP handled the situation and you have the right to be angry and frustrated with them. I agree with you though being funemployed is not super great it makes it hard to fill the day and feel like you accomplished something. I hope you can find some kind of work soon and that things get better in CO for you soon. HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uggg I'm so sorry Kim that things went so shitty for you. I hope things start looking up for you soon. We need to get together so we can chat about all of this over some wine. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the record, Be Prepared is from the Lion King (and probably my favorite song from that soundtrack.

    ReplyDelete

asdfas